Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Eager anticipation and anxious waiting

For some reason it really didn’t hit me until yesterday that I’m going on vacation in a few days. Only a few days! Yay! But, damn! I have a lot to get done before then.

One thing I meant to do before I left was go get a new swim suit and a couple nice sundresses. I have a couple swimsuits that’ll do (getting new suits was just for the fun of it), but the dress thing is a little more necessary. Most of my clothes are casual or (in rare cases) business casual or business attire – I don’t have much in the way of pretty lightweight feminine dresses or skirts. I definitely don’t have enough of that sort of thing for a week’s worth of dinners. Last time I had to dress up it was for a trip in the fall … methinks the velvet and long-sleeved stuff isn’t going to work (at least without me getting heatstroke).

Yesterday, I looked at the calendar (soon! We leave soon!), and looked at my closet (oh crap, what to wear!), and I decided that desperate times call for desperate measures. I decided to take a shot at ordering the dresses online. When it comes to clothes, I don’t usually buy anything but tops online, because it’s sooooo hard to know if something will fit. But maybe, just maybe, there’s a way around that …

Have you guys heard about MyShape.com? I saw it on the news a while back.* You enter in all kinds of measurements, and then the website categorizes you into body types and gives you specific recommendations for clothes that will (at least in theory) look good and fit. It chooses the size for you … you know how when you go shopping and you’re a size 14 in one skirt and a size 4 in another? (Yes, I’m exaggerating, but you know what I mean.) The website matches your measurements against the fit of each outfit and figures out that in this dress you’re a 10, but in this you’re a 6. And if they don’t fit, there is free return shipping.

Interesting, right?

I have no idea if it works. But I figured what the hell. I have no time, no time, no time to go try on 14,000 different dresses to find two that actually fit and look good. Why not let a website do the work for me? So yesterday, I ordered two dresses from them. I spent waaaaaaaaaaaay more than I would usually spend on pretty damned near anything clothing-wise, but I was so intrigued by the concept and if the dresses truly are fabulous …

Now I’m waiting at the window, obsessively checking FedEx.com, and at the same time obsessively checking MyShape.com to see if they’ve put up any new clothing options for me. I can’t wait to find out if the system worked. Granted, the clothes are so darned expensive in most cases that I couldn’t shop there often, but what a great option for a splurge on rare occasions. IF it works.

We’ll find out soon! I’ll let you guys know.

And speaking of anxious waiting, I still don’t have my MRI test results. Argh! I did get a call from the nurse on Monday with news that my chlamydia test results were negative. Uhhh, great. I didn’t even know they tested me for chlamydia. I recognize the need to rule out all possible causes for abdominal/pelvic pain, but really? An STD? *sigh* I understand that you truly never know, and some couples sometimes aren’t quite as monogamous as is assumed, but, um, yeah. This test result was not something I would have been terribly worried about (if I’d even known they’d run the test in the first place). I feel pretty safe from STDs at this point in my life. Thanks for checking, thanks for the phone call, but can’t you just get me the MRI test results, please? I’m so tired of waiting. On Monday they told me it would likely be today (not Tuesday as I’d originally heard). So … soon. Hopefully I’ll know something soon.

Oh, and speaking of possibly damaged body parts, my knee has very slight but definitely still present soreness from my run on Saturday. I think my Monday workout wasn’t as low-impact as I’d intended. Grrrr! I really want to stay in the running habit! I want to keep the momentum going and eventually build more speed and endurance! But I think for my long-term well-being I need to stay off the knee today. Maybe it’ll be better tomorrow or Friday.



* Can I just say that it seems strange to me that this was on the news? Is this truly NEWS? Don’t get me wrong, I love that I found out about it, but “news” … come on people, really?

29 comments:

Paul said...

Feminine dresses... as opposed to masculine dresses...?

I hope your online dress purchases work out. I'm happy that I don't have to worry too much about whether my clothes fit "right." Too small is a problem, too big... not so much.

Hopefully, MRI results will come in soon, and hopefully you are feeling well enough to enjoy your vacation!

Kathy said...

Thanks for the link to that shopping site! I'd never heard of it.

Kate said...

Definitely going to check out that site, your so resourceful!

watchinmyweight said...

Good luck with the MRI results!! :) Isn't it amazing how long it takes a Radiologist to read and write up the results!?!?!

I hope the dresses fit...and enjoy that vacation!!

healthy ashley said...

That sounds like such a cool website. I hope you have a blast with all the shopping and are counting down every minute until the vacation! Will we get some pictures? :)

Anonymous said...

for sure let us know about how that site works for you... i like the idea of it recommending things based on your body type... cool.

i'm so jealous that you're going to Mexico... i'll live vicariously thru you! have fun!

Aaron Cunningham said...

Have a great vacation!

If you injure it you can't run on it. :) Take a day or tow off, and see how you knee fels. It's probably just talking back. :) Maybe dial back your mileage after a few days off, and add it again slowly.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I can't wait to hear how you like MyShape! I'd heard about it and will be interested to see how it works out.

Hope your knee is back to normal very soon and I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for your test results. (The ones that are actually a concern, I mean, not the STDs!) Hopefully you'll get great results just in time to get really excited about vacation! :-)

V.

Caroline said...

I definitely know what you mean about not having "feminine" dresses. My boyfriend teases me that I am the only girl he knows who would find and love non-feminine jewelry. I think I have one dress that I would characterize as feminine. He has already said that I have to take my sister with me to pick out my wedding dress so I get something feminine. Hah!

Caroline said...

Oh, and definitely let me know how you like the dresses. That is a really cool idea. If you like how it works, I might have to check it out!

Sarah said...

That website seems really interesting! Definitely write a post when you get the dresses to let us know if it works or not!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear how MyShape works out for you. Have a great vacation too!

JavaChick said...

I had never heard of MyShape before -looks like it would be fun to play with. I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

Vacation! JavaChick is envious. :(

Hope you have a great time!

AndyAdey said...

www.themarketplace4u.blogspot.com

is the site you need

Anonymous said...

That was great. I enjoyed reading your post.

-Sarah

Paku Neraka said...

hello

nice blog..lets exchange link..my link http://fitness-people.blogspot.com

Ab Circle Pro said...

Great post .. i'm looking for some tips to shed the fat I packed on over the last few years.

Juka Ribeiro said...

Never heard that site before, I'll check it out. BTW, thanks for sharing and stay healthy!

Brian
downtown San Diego gym

Carrie said...

vacation is a stress reliever, it somehow refresh your mind from busy work, and it made you relax even just a half day vacation or a week will make. Spend your time with love one and realize how beautiful life is.

Myprotein discount codes said...

Good stuff. Keep it up!

Myprotein discount codes said...

Good stuff. Keep it up!

excessive sweating said...

Good Post. I hope that you would feel good and after relaxation you also look in well shaped. Please update your new Post. I would like to read and see your new look.

Exercise Balls Compare said...

Good stuff I think it's really important to keep destressed..

Unknown said...

This is nice way for fitness i am really very impressed here can you more share here i will back soon as soon possible.
Thanks for posting.....



" Michael muskat,"

joewood200 said...

BTW thanks for such a nice stuff. Highly Recommended.

anabolic supplements

Home Gym Equipment said...

Thanks for this

Weight Loss said...

Very useful article for me, there is more information I have is very important. Thank you I'm glad you could get out of it to share.

Dan said...

Good luck with the MRI results!! :) Isn't it amazing how long it takes a Radiologist to read and write up the results!?!?!

Dan said...

Great post thanks for sharing with us!