Monday, April 14, 2008

Symptom, my ass

In my post on Friday I mentioned that I’d been having some abdominal pains, and I went to the doctor, and she ordered a CT scan. Still no results of that scan – I’ll keep you posted. Anyway, I want to share one strange twist to this story, which I thought of when I was eating my low points, high fiber lunch this afternoon.

Last week, the doctor did an initial exam and asked me a few questions, and then she referred me to the radiology center. When I took the referral papers from the doctor’s office to the radiology center so I could pick up my barium (YUMMY!), I saw the following on the “reason for ordering” section:
Reason for ordering: Abdominal/Pelvic pain and weight loss
Um, hello??? If weight loss is a symptom, it’s a symptom I sure worked hard to get! After months of tracking my points and water intake and increasing my exercise and changing my life, it was somewhere between humorous and annoying to see my weight loss being listed as one of the reasons the doc ordered a CT scan.

What the heck?

And yes, we did talk about the fact that my weight loss was intentional. We talked about how she herself suggested I lose a little weight and increase my exercise, since the last time I was at her office I had slightly high cholesterol. We talked about how I’m doing weight watchers and running.

I guess the doc has to cover her buns and go ahead and list weight loss as a symptom, but damn! I went in expecting to be congratulated for losing weight, and instead I added concerns to an already concerning situation!

Harrumph.

14 comments:

Kate said...

Oh I would be pissy too! My weight loss is a symptom of nothing...only of hard work!

Erin said...

I'd be a little miffed as well. I'm standing next to kate on this one it's a symptom of hard work ONLY!

Hanlie said...

Too right! The medical profession in all it's tarnished glory again!

Lora said...

Well if your weight loss is a symptom of something...is it contagious? Come on over here and breathe on me!!

Ready Maid said...

If listing weight loss on the script helps your insurance to kick in, great.

Hope you get things owrked out.

Ready Maid said...

If listing weight loss on the script helps your insurance to kick in, great.

Hope you get things owrked out.

Aaron Cunningham said...

Sorry to hear about all of the problems. It's hard to run when if the instestinal tract won't cooperate. Good luck getting back on the wagon, and I hope they can find the problem AND that it's easy to solve.

Good luck on your race! Looking forward to a race report. :)

Brittany said...

I hate doctors sometimes! I had to have a CT Scan a while back and the barium made me sick. Literally, I was puking. The doctor put on the form "Patient hostile. Refuses to drink Barium." Hostile? Dude, I was barfing! And I didn't refuse to drink anything. I drank it and it made me sick. What else do you want me to do? Bleck! Stupid doctors!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey its Blu from Wicked. Sorry to hear your not 100%. Question for you, was the pain on the right side just under the ribs?

I only ask becasue last year I had horrid pain and ended up in the er to have them order 15 different tests to tell me " We don't know" to find out later I passed a gall stone. Hurt like a mofo.

Pattie said...

Well, think of it this way: when you gained the weight, the composition of your body changed. It stands to reason that the same thing happened when you lost the weight. It's all about there being a change in your body that needs to be checked out.

That said, your doctor should have shouted to the rooftops and saluted you on your success FIRST - then sent you for the scan!

So I'll do it instead: YAY YOU!!!!

Heather said...

I completely understand why youd feel like that! perhaps you could explain it to the doc that it was something that you worked for, not a result of whatever your medical issue may be? she is probably jsut being cautious and doesnt realize she offended you, but stick up for yourself and your efforts!

MomOf4 said...

I agree. She has to be covering her own ass, as sorry as that sounds. You have done an awesome job and should be congratulated by her! You have done GREAT! I went to see my doctor a couple of weeks ago. I told her I was running and she asked me "outside or on the treadmill". It was mostly on the treadmill so I told her. She said "Oh", and turned away like it was nothing. Blah to them!

Anonymous said...

Gah. Grounds for murder. Or at least, aggravated assault. :-)

V.

Grumpy Chair said...

Grrr that makes me mad. First they want to blame symptoms on being overweight now its because of weight loss?

You would think doctors would want to get paid and not make it easier for health insurance companies to turn down medical claims.